Invoice Time/Expense Entry Line Items - Add/Edit
This form is where the invoice line items are added and edited. It is also where the time and expense entries can be searched and associated to the invoice line item and existing time and expense entries can be viewed and removed.
An invoice line item can only have time entries or expense entries attached. It can't have both. However, the same process and the same form is used whether time or expense entries are being added (although some of the drop downs may change depending on whether it is a time or expense).
If the invoice line item was generated automatically, it can still be edited via this form.
There are three different sections that will appear on this form:
- The invoice line item details (this always shows)
- The time or expense entries associated to that invoice line item
- Search section that displays the time/expense entries that could be associated with the invoice line item (based on certain criteria - see below).
If a new invoice line item is being added, the information and the different sections will be blank:
If an invoice line item with time or expense entries already associated to it is being edited, the time or expense entries will be listed below the invoice line item:
If a search has been done to find time and expense entries, but no entries currently exist, the matches will appear in the search section:
If a search has been done to find time and expense entries and time and expense entries have been attached already, the three separate sections will all have data:
The invoice line item details and the associated time and expense entries can be added or edited here regardless of whether the invoice line item was added manually or automatically.
To add or edit the invoice line item details, click in the fields and enter or edit the data:
Line # - This is the line number of this item on the invoice. This is an optional field. Enter it, if your invoices require line items.
Date - This is the date associated with this line item. Enter the date (hover on the field to see the format and date shortcut keys or click the calendar icon and choose a date from the calendar). This is an optional field.
Line Item Time/Expense Code - Click in the drop down and select a time code or expense code for this invoice line item. The System Administrator will have determined whether this is a required field or not based on your invoice requirements. See Invoicing Settings. There can be only one time or expense code for a line item. In most cases, if a time or expense code line item is selected then only time or expense entries with that code are attached to the invoice line item (although there is not a restriction for that, other entries with other codes can be attached).
Calculation Type - The Calculation Type sets how the Hours, Rate and Total information is set for that line if its time line item or the quantity, unit price and total if its fan expense line item. Whatever calculation type is used, the hours/quantity multiplied bythe rate equals the total. If the line item was generated automatically, it will be set to Calculate from Entries but can be changed.
- Calculate from Entries - This setting automatically calculates the values from the entries and they aren't editable.
For a Time Line Item - This setting automatically calculates the hours, rate and total from the time entries attached. The hours are calculated by adding all the invoice hours from each time entry, the total is calculated by adding all the invoice total amounts and then the rate is calculated by dividing total by the total hours (its an average rate).
For an Expense Line Item - This setting automatically calculates the quantity, unit price and total from the expense entries attached. The quantity is calculated by adding all the quantities from each expense entry, the total is calculated by adding all the quantities and the rate is calculated by dividing that total by the total quantity (its an average rate).
- Fixed Total - This setting enables the total amount for the line to be entered manually.
For a Time Line Item - The hours are calculated by adding all the invoice hours from each time entry. The rate is calculated by dividing the total amount entered by the total hours (its an average rate). Those aren't changeable, only the total amount is.
For an Expense Line Item - The quantity is calculated by adding all the quantities from each expense entry. The rate is calculated by dividing that total amount entered by the total quantity (its an average rate). Those aren't changeable, only the total amount is.
- Fixed Total, Hours/Qty & Rate - This setting enables all the amounts to be manually entered and changed. One of the amounts is always automatically calculated. For example, if the hours or quantity is changed, the total is automatically calculated. If the total is changed, the rate is automatically calculated.
Line Item Description - This is the description of the invoice line item that the customer sees. If the line item was generated automatically, it be preset with information but it can be changed.
Click to save any changes.
If the invoice line item was created automatically, time and expense entries will be automatically attached. Also, time and expense entries can be added by searching for entries that match certain criteria and adding them (either individually or in a batch).
Only certain entries will ever be available to be attached to an invoice:
- The time or expense entries must be assigned to projects or tasks associated with the same company the invoice was created for.
- Time or expense entries are directly associated to the company the invoice was created for.
- If a contract was selected for the invoice, the time or expense entries must also be associated with that contract.
- If a project was selected for the invoice, the time or expense entries must be associated with that project.
Entries can be searched for based on just that criteria or additional criteria can be entered:
- Dates of the time or expense entries
- By projects (if the invoice wasn't set for one project only)
- The time or expense code
- Just billable entries or all entries including billable and non-billable entries
- Default invoiced company (more than one company can be associated to a project but one will only ever be assigned to be the default. All entries for all companies can be selected or only the entries associated with the default company)
- Default invoiced contract (more than one contract can be associated to a project but one will only ever be assigned to be the default. All entries for all contracts can be selected or only the entries associated with the default contract)
In the Search for Time/Expense Entries to add section:
- Enter any additional search criteria you require (in the drop downs and via the checkboxes)
- Click the Search icon.
- The Time or Expense Entries matching the criteria are displayed:
- Click the next to an entry to associate it to the invoice.
- Click on the Add All text at the top of bottom of the table to add all the items listed in the search section
- The entries are displayed in the section below the invoice line item detail
- Once the entries are added, adjust any of the invoice details as outlined above (i.e. hours/qty, rate, total).
- Click to save any changes.
Note* A time or expense entry can only ever be associated to one invoice. It will never appear in the search criteria to be associated to another invoice.
Time or expense entries can be un-associated from an invoice line item.
Click the Remove icon next to the entry.
This removes it from this section and displays it in the search section.
Note* This doesn't delete the entry is just dis-associated it from this invoice line item, making it available to attach to a different invoice line item.
When time and expense entries are made, the billable hours, quantity, rate and totals are captured. These values are automatically set (see Project Costing Rate Flow
These values also automatically get set as the "Invoice" values. The billable values are what it should be billed at while the invoice values are what it is actually invoiced.
In a lot cases these are the same. However, in some instances they may differ. For example, fixed hours, rates, or totals may have been agreed to and therefore the invoice values are not going to match the billables values. Values may be rounded (for example rounded up to the nearest $100 removing dollars and cents) or contingency may be added. In that case, you may to change the invoice amounts for the individual time and expense entries so they calculate up the amount the customer sees on the invoice line item. This way, the billable values versus the invoice values are tracked and can be reported on. The invoice values don't have to roll up to the invoice line item amount (depending on the Calculation Type) but if variance reporting is reporting on the individual time and expense entry level, then the values should add up to the invoice line item value.
To change the invoice values:
- Click in the Invoice Hours/Quantity, Rates or Totals and change the values as required.
- That changes will roll-up to the invoice line item amounts automatically (based on the Calculation Type). This ensures the invoice amounts from the individual time and expense entries match the values on the invoice line item.
- Click to save any changes.
Invoice items are created, with time or expense entries as the detailed sub-items of the invoice line items. Only the invoice line items are exported to the QuickBooks file, with the detailed time and expense entry data preserved for future reference by authorized Project Insight invoicing users. If you do wish to export the detail within the invoice, you may do so by exporting the invoice to Microsoft Excel with the "Show line item detail" box checked.