Use of the Clipboard is invoked from several different interface actions:
1. Add to Clipboard from the Tools selector adds the content from your current view. If you chose the action below from within a folder with twenty items in it, all twenty items will be added to the clipboard.
2. Add to Clipboard from the right-click option on an item in a list adds that specific item. The right-click Add to Clipboard action below on the Banner project in the folder view will add the Banner project to the clipboard.
3. View Clipboard displays items in the clipboard as part of the right-click display if you roll the mouse over it without clicking. Both the Brochure and Banner projects had been added to the clipboard prior to using the View Clipboard option in the right-click menu.
4. View Clipboard when clicked, as opposed to rolling over it with the mouse, opens a new layer to perform functions on the clipboard contents such as selecting only certain items for further action. Further actions can include cut, copy, email links, multiple file download and clear the clipboard.
5. Copy adds a first item to the right-click list for single-item Paste as well as adding it to the clipboard. This item will be replaced in the right-click list and in the clipboard the next time an item is added using the copy or cut options. The right-click Copy action on the Banner project below has already been performed, resulting in the Banner reference on a Paste (Copy) action line.
6. Cut adds a first item to the right-click list as well as to the clipboard. This item will be replaced in the right-click list and in the clipboard by the next item added using the copy or cut options. The right-click Cut action on the Banner project below has already been performed, resulting in the Banner reference on a Paste (Move) action line.
7. Copy Shortcut to Windows (Internet Explorer only) places a hyperlink shortcut to the item as text in the Windows clipboard. This exact same function can be performed with other browsers by choosing the Email Page option instead, followed by the use of the operating system's copy function on the resulting shortcut in the email message.
Always use the Move function if you are changing the folder location of a project. This maintains all time and expense entries, as opposed to creating a copy which simply copies the project without duplicating all of the work entries.
Clear, as it applies to the clipboard, simply means to clear the item from the clipboard list without any action or consequence to the item in Project Insight.
Rules for Copied Items
When copying an item, sub-items are often copied as well. For example, the result of copying a folder containing three uploaded files will be a new copy of the folder containing three new copies of the files. An exception was referenced earlier in that copying projects will not copy all of the time entries. There is another exception:
Comments are copied only when copying an issue. Comments attached to a file, for example, will remain with the original file without adding copied comments from the original to the resulting copy of the file.