After completing the PI Integration for Azure DevOps | Getting Started Guide, your project managers will be able to sync their Project Insight projects with a project already created in Azure DevOps.
Which Integration are you using?
Select the Integration you plan to use to sync. Currently, each project in Project Insight can only sync to one integration at a time. Any more would get confusing!
Which Azure DevOps Account?
In this view, you will select the instance of Azure DevOps you plan to use to find the right project. If you only use one instance of Azure DevOps, you will bypass this screen. Hit the "Configure" button.
Choose the project to sync epics, user stories, tasks and iterations from Project Insight. If your global setting syncs bugs as issues, those will sync too.
Hit "Sync from Azure DevOps" to shoot to the task list and get started managing.
Your Populated PI Project
Now that your project is populated, you can get the following information from your team members automatically as they use Azure DevOps for their work:
- The integration creates your epics, features, user stories, and tasks - after your first sync, all updates are automatic
- Azure DevOps' tasks, user stories, features, and epics become PI Tasks and Summary Tasks (along WBS)
- Azure DevOps' bugs can become PI Issues, if you select the option
- Don't duplicate Project Insight Sprints - We'll pull Iterations from Azure DevOps, and you'll add the dates for scheduling purposes
- If you want to view comments from your resources Azure DevOps work - ask your team to add comments on to their Azure DevOps's tasks
- You'll see Time Entries on Project Insight tasks if your team members add hours completed to their Azure DevOps's tasks
- If you value task progress in Project Insight, require the team to use hours remaining in Azure DevOps to calculate percent complete
- Demonstrate PI project progress as Team Members mark tasks and bugs as Closed in Azure DevOps
Please note: Scrum projects in Azure DevOps do not use any time features. Therefore you cannot send time information up to Project Insight from Scrum projects. You will see time information in Project Insight when your team members enter that information in Azure DevOps' Agile and CMMI project types.
To Troubleshoot your Integration
You can revisit the PI Integration Configuration page anytime you want to test the connection between Project Insight and Azure DevOps.
Two button options are:
Sync from Azure DevOps
As your team makes updates, those updates will reflect in PI automatically. However, if you find something isn't syncing correctly, try a bulk import of Azure DevOps changes. This button will move over all Azure DevOps Work information into your Project Insight Project.
Update Azure DevOps Hooks
You will use this button any time the bulk update does not work. It could be the Azure DevOps Hooks need refreshing. If this does not solve your syncing challenges, you may need to jump into Azure DevOps for additional troubleshooting of their Service Hooks.
Project execution and close-out
As your team provides you updates through the PI Integration for Azure DevOps, you can run your portfolio reports for project status and project health. You can make business decisions based on the feedback the development team is sending up the chain to you. It's one fewer excuse, so you don't need to chase down updates or not have visibility into project progress.